Plant Power Burgers!
by Kelly Wolf
This week presenting to the Spring Ultra Kitchen; BURGERS! Grill-worthy for the fun weekend or stove-top for a humble weekday, here is a go-to recipe for hearty, ultra-satisfying plant-based burgers.
The ingredients in these Plant Power Burgers are simple, whole-foods: BEANS, QUINOA, GROUND OATS, CARROTS, WALNUTS, & SPICES. High in protein, low in fat, these are a healthy substitute for a beef patty (more environmentally-friendly too) and will put all ‘freezer section’ veggie patties to shame. This recipe is versatile enough to get creative. For example, jazzing them up by adding some chopped GREEN CHILIES is highly recommended!
1 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed (1 ¼ c beans)
- 1 15oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed (1 ¼ c beans)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup shredded carrot (about 2 carrots)
- ¾ cup oats ground to flour OR buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup crumbled walnuts (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder or 1 clove crushed garlic
- ½ tsp cumin seed powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped Hatch green chilies (optional)
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, but using only ½ cup of the flour, set aside the rest
- Scoop 3 cups of mixture into a food processor or blender and purée (If using a blender lightly tap the top of the mix to get it going and stir in between multiple blends)
- Scoop blended mix back into bowl and mix with a fork to fully combine (Taste test! Add some extra spice if desired)
- Form into 6 large patties with your hands, this should be easy, if it's too sticky add more flour
- Grill or heat on an oiled skillet, a couple minutes each side until crispy on the outside and cooked through the middle
Tips & Tricks
feel free to use all black or all pinto beans for ease, especially if using home cooked beans
- this recipe is also delicious subbing brown rice for quinoa
- if baking in the oven, bake 10 minutes each side on a baking sheet at 375 degrees F
Burgers from beans, grains, vegetables, and nuts. Talk about some well-rounded burgers. Did you know quinoa is a complete protein in itself? That makes beans & quinoa an even more killer combo for plant-based burgers. Shredded carrots sneak in some extra nutrients and crumbled walnuts add extra satiation. Oats ground to flour binds them together (or try Buckwheat flour for more nutrients and complex flavor), no egg needed!
This recipe is super simple to make with a food processor or blender. Just purée half the batter, form into patties, and throw on the grill, heat on an oiled skillet, or even bake them in the oven. They are guaranteed to be crumble-proof and convenient to store for meals later on, either in the fridge or longer in the freezer.
Enjoy them however you like your Burger- with a high stack of colorful fixings such as roasted beet slices, avocado, and heirloom tomato, or simply with a smear of dijon mustard, appreciating the savory flavors within.
Warning: will cause Burger-Envy amongst meat-eating counterparts
FEED YOUR PASSION and share with @Spring_Energy tagging the #SpringUltraKitchen