Cozy Cara Cara Carrot Muffins-RECIPE by Kelly Wolf
Are winter storms giving you the feels to curl up inside with a book and a treat? Or are they getting you out the door to prance the peaks? Either way, these muffins will provide all the cozy-goodness and yummy kitchen smells to add some more spice to your season. Seasonal citrus and carrots are the stars of this recipe, providing immune-boosting Vitamin C and powerful carotenoid antioxidants. The benefits of carotenoids are actually enhanced by cooking, making these “carrot cake muffins” an ideal nutritious treat! They use almond and oat flours for complex carbohydrates. They are sweetened by a touch of honey, applesauce, and the fresh squeeze of a bright pink Cara Cara orange. Shredded carrot provides texture, moisture, and added fiber in addition to the beta carotene. Beta carotene is a fat soluble, as it is converted to Vitamin A, so don’t skimp on the fat added here! Use extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil, grass-fed butter, or a combination of both. Boost them even more with the option of added blueberries!
- 1 c almond flour
- 1 c oat flour
- 1.5 c whole oats
- 1 tsp each spice: cinnamon, ginger, cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅓ c crumbled walnuts
- 1.5 c shredded organic carrots
- 3 pastured eggs
- ⅔ c unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbs honey/maple syrup
- ⅓ c soft coconut oil, grass fed butter, or combination
- Juice of 1 cara cara orange (about ⅓ cup)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional- ⅔ c organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If grinding flours, in a blender or food processor, grind 1 cup almonds and 1 cup oats into fine flour. Careful to not over-grind as it will get clumpy.
- Transfer to large bowl and add other dry ingredients including grated carrots (rinse carrots, grate with cheese grater, measure generously). Stir to combine.
- Soften coconut oil and/or butter in small pot over medium heat. Measure and transfer to smaller separate bowl.
- Add other wet ingredients and stir to thoroughly beat eggs.
- Pour wet into dry and mix.
- If using blueberries, mix in softy at the end.
- Scoop into 12 muffin cups placed in a 9x12 baking pan or lined muffin tin.
- Bake 38 minutes, poke with toothpick or knife to test for doneness.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 10 minutes. ENJOY!!!
- Add a tablespoon of orange zest for even more flavor and the detoxifying nutrient LIMONENE, prolific in the orange peel.
- Use pre-packaged almond and oat flours or make your own easily by grinding each, separately in a blender or food processor, into a fine flour.
- Fat is needed to absorb the carotenoids from all that carrot. Don’t skimp on the fat!
- Use pasture-raised eggs and grass fed butter. The healthier the animal, the healthier (and tastier) their products!